Here are 10 ways you can speak out for good food policy in Kansas City today and everyday.
1. Support food chain workers by supporting efforts to expand Medicaid, including voting YES on Amendment 2 in Missouri on August 4.
2. Join Food Chain Workers Alliance and HEAL Food Alliance in calling on decision makers to #ProtectAllWorkers. Nearly 38,000 meat workers have tested positive for COVID-19, yet they STILL lack basic protections like six feet of space and the ability to stay home when sick. Tyson, JBS and other meat companies continue to profit, while workers are forced to choose between their lives and their livelihoods.
3. Speak out about the next federal aid package. Join Food Research Action Center, the National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition and others in demanding that the next aid package help those most harmed by the pandemic. Call your US Senators at (202) 224-3121 and demand the next stimulus bill:
- Increase max SNAP benefits by 15% and minimum benefits to $30 a month.
- Provide direct support for farmers left out of the current Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (CFAP), especially diversified farmers, direct to consumer farmers and farmers who are Black, indigenous or people of color.
- Include investments to strengthen food system safety, capacity and resilience.
- Contain more opportunities for independent producers to provide food for their communities.
- Ensure transparent data and strong oversight of aid spending to ensure equity.
- Prevent foreclosure and farm loss through automatic loan deferment, forbearance and debt relief.
- Improve food and farm worker protections to support the safety of essential workers.
4. Learn more about racism, racial equity and racial justice in food systems. Here are some resources to get you started.
5. Use our COVID 19 policy resource page to track policy developments impacting our food system.
6. Mark your calendars & spread the word! The first-ever National Food Policy Council convening will still be in Kansas City, but has been rescheduled for September 20-22, 2021. Stay tuned for details!
- Respond to & amplify alerts. Rapid policy changes mean action alerts are more important than ever. Subscribe to our advocacy alerts. If you’ve attended our meetings but haven’t received advocacy alerts, check your spam folder and filter settings.
- Network and collaborate with fellow stakeholders by attending regular meetings of the work groups (all are free and open to the public!) and other events. Connect with the Coalition on our website or Facebook.
- Support local farmers, grocers and restaurants. Buy direct from farmers when possible and support retailers and restaurants who do the same. Check out KC Food Circle and Missouri Food Finder.
- Help us sustain effective advocacy on critical food policies by making a monthly or annual donation. Coalition membership is free, but the work isn’t! Donations provide crucial support for costs that grants don’t cover, such as lobbying, so give today.