Last night, the Senate Assessment and Taxation Committee unanimously passed Senate Bill 444 out of committee. SB 444 would lower the states sales tax rate on food from the current rate of 6.5% to 4% in 2020 and then down to 2% in 2021. The bill now moves to the full Senate for consideration.
We have worked long and hard with legislators, and could not have gotten this far without the support of advocates like you!
Join us in thanking the committee for their support, and in particular the Committee Chairwoman, Senator Caryn Tyson, for her leadership and commitment to lowering sales tax on food in Kansas.
Can you send them a quick email thanking them for their support, particularly if your legislator is in the committee?
Here is the list of committee members and their email addresses:
- Senator Caryn Tyson – Caryn.Tyson@senate.ks.gov
- Senator Dan Kerschen – Dan.Kerschen@senate.ks.gov
- Senator Tom Holland – Tom.Holland@senate.ks.gov
- Senator Larry Alley – Larry.Alley@senate.ks.gov
- Senator Molly Baumgardner – Molly.Baumgardner@senate.ks.gov
- Senator Marci Francisco – Marci.Francisco@senate.ks.gov
- Senator Dan Goddard – Dan.Goddard@senate.ks.gov
- Senator Julia Lynn – Julia.Lynn@senate.ks.gov
- Senator Mike Petersen – Mike.Petersen@senate.ks.gov
We will continue to update as the bill moves through the legislative process.
Thank you for your time and for speaking out for lowering sales tax on food in Kansas!
Click here to learn more about the work KC Healthy Kids is doing to to reduce the burden of food sales taxes in Kansas.