This holiday season, pledge to Eat Local for the Holidays! You’ll reap the delicious benefits of a bountiful harvest and support Kansas City’s local farmers while you’re at it.
All you have to do is commit to choosing at least one local item for a holiday meal. Sign the pledge by December 31 and you’ll be entered to win local food prizes!
Visit our Carrot Gold grocery partners to find the local foods you’re looking for:
- The Flavor Market 1461 NW Hwy 50, Holden, Mo
- GreenAcres Market 4175 N Mulberry Dr, Kansas City, MO 64116
- Howard’s KC 1708 Oak St, Kansas City, MO 64108
- Locally Sourced Meats 419 Main Street, Kansas City, MO 64105
- Nature’s Own 310 E 5th St, Kansas City, MO 64106 and Westport in November
- The Sundry 300 E 39th St, Kansas City, MO 64111
- Terra Health & Wellness, 19800 E Jackson Dr, Independence, MO 64057
- Whole Foods 7401 W 91st St, Overland Park, KS 66212, 6621 W 119th St, Overland Park, KS 66209, 14615 W 119th St, Olathe, KS 66062, and in Brookside 2018
If that’s not enough to convince you, here are 5 more reasons to take the pledge:
- A strong local food system lets you put your money into your own community, creating more stability for everyone.
- Locally raised products travel shorter distances to your plate, which reduces energy consumption.
- Local growers are more likely to limit their use of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides. Instead, they rely on growing management methods, like crop rotation, composting and biological controls, to ensure a healthy harvest.
- Local farmers tend to grow different varieties of our favorite foods or other fruits and vegetables that grow more regionally and may not be available in our supermarkets. This allows for a wider variety of fruits and vegetables, leading to a more nutritious diet.
- Winter farmers markets and CSA (community-supported agriculture) programs put you face-to-face with farmers. You can talk with them directly to learn when the food was harvested and how it was grown. Use the winter months to find farmers markets near you or a CSA that meets your needs. KC Food Circle Can Help (LINK)