KC Healthy Kids needs your help to make Champions for Health a success! The program features a photo contest that gives students the power to make their schools healthier places. Classrooms submit photo essays to propose health and wellness project proposals designed for kids by kids. They might win $100, $1,000 or $2,500 for their project!
Then in March, they spend a day with us at the youth summit to hone their advocacy skills, meet with their lawmakers and attend breakout sessions.
Here are two ways you can help:
1. Judge contest submissions. We need lots of people to judge photos submitted by 3-8 grade classrooms from metro area public and private schools.
KC Healthy Kids will provide volunteer judges with the photo submissions, judging criteria, and online judging forms to complete according to their schedule. The deadline for completing the judging is December 31, 2019. The judging process has been moved to an online process to further streamline and simplify it for the judges. This virtual volunteer opportunity requires no special skills and usually can be completed in 2-3 hours.
Each classroom submission will be scored in three categories:
- Innovation: To earn high marks in the Innovation category, classrooms demonstrate a compelling need for their innovative concept and explain their idea clearly and concisely.
- Impact: To earn high marks in the Impact category, classrooms explain the expected impact for their idea, and how their idea will sustain over time.
- Implementation: To earn high marks in the Implementation category, classrooms demonstrate that they can successfully implement their idea by providing a feasible timeline, potential challenges and solutions, explanation of who is working on the project (team members and/or mentors) and an appropriate budget.
2. Save the date to volunteer at the March 10th Champions for Health Youth summit.
At our youth summit, we’ll bring more than 200 students together for a full day conference where they’ll learn to speak out for healthier food in schools, walkable communities, urban farms and gardens and more. KC Healthy Kids is in need of volunteers to assist with the coordination of our Youth Summit.
Champions for Health Youth Summit
March 10, 2020
Kauffman Foundation Conference Center
4801 Rockhill Rd
Kansas City, MO 64110
Volunteer registration opens in January 2020